Monday 24 November 2014

Quilted Pillow Cases - A Finished Project

Hello everyone,

I will be linking this post to a few 'linky parties' so if you have found me through one of them Welcome.  This Blog is only a little over a week old so any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I hope you all enjoy seeing what I have made.

This weekend I finished some pillow cases:



They all have quilted fronts with a plain backing.  Two of them also have patchwork fronts - orange seemed to be the colour of the week on that front!

If you follow me on Facebook you will have seen a few sneak peeks of these over the last week - you can follow me here.



Personally, I like plain bedlinen, preferably white - it's easier to keep clean when you have a hubby that likes to get dirty (always tinkering with an engine or something!).

Therefore I like a nice bright pillowcase to brighten it all up.  These all have a quilted front which gives the 'pretty factor' and a plain back which can be more comfortable to sleep on.

Navy Floral Sprial Wholecloth Pillowcase 

The first two are wholecloth quilted  pillows.  This one with a gorgeous flower print was quilted with a spiral which can bee seen better here:

and backed with a linen cotton and finished with a contrasting navy 'flap' to hold it on the pillow.
Fresh Pillowcase
I love the colour of this fabric, so simple and fresh, the quilting is an uneven crosshatch.  I didn't mark this, instead followed the pattern of the fabric



To keep the fresh feeling this pillow was finished with a simple white back and flap.

The second two are patchwork and seem to follow an orange theme - not sure how that happened as it's not really one of my colours!


Citrus with a Twist Pillowcase
My first time using triangles for patchwork - I certainly underestimated the number needed and had to stop and cut more a couple of times.
I went overboard with the quilting - there are 5 lines of quilting along each of the seam lines, which can be seen better here:


This was finished with an orange large spot 'flap' and a grey backing fabric - love this one!!

Finally (I can hear you cheering!) another orange patchwork:


Orange Patchwork Pillowcase
This has simple quilting following the seam lines as seen here:




And finished with a linen backing and a flap that matches the end fabric of the patchwork front.

For those that are interested in the details.  
  • All fabrics are 100% cotton
  • All thread used is 100% cotton
  • Batting is 100% bamboo
  • The patchwork fronts have been backed with Muslin
Thankyou for making it this far - I've did try to break it up so that it's not too wordy.

Vicki

Edit:
I've linked with the following linky parties, please click on the below links and check out the wonderful work completed by others:
     Fresh Poppy Design                      Sew Cute Tuesday
   stitch by stitch                         Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River




6 comments:

  1. Lovely! I also have all white bedding and like to add a pop of colour. I don't know why I didn't think of making quilted pillowcases with plain backings as you have done! My husband doesn't like throw cushions or extra's on the bed but your idea for pillowcases would do the same job. Guess what I'll be working on this weekend??! Great blog btw. Can't wait to see more of your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa for your kind words and I can't wait to see your finished pillowcases.

      Delete
  2. Great pillowcases! I never thought to quilt them, but how wonderful they would be. And they do give a great pop of color. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have thought? Great idea and yours are really pretty. What a wonderful gift for someone who is laid up. Cheery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and certainly a great gift - you can never have too many pillowcases!

      Delete